Microsoft have announced ability to remotely configure Outlook client

Microsoft have announced the ability to remotely configure the Outlook client via an EMM platform.

Microsoft leverages Managed App Config on iOS devices and Android Enterprise Channel on Android to achieve configuration.

Currently it looks to be possible to configure the following:

• EmailAccountName
  • EmailAddress
  • EmailUPN
  • ServerAuthentication
  • ServerHostName

Full key pair documentation is available here:

Hey Dani

Have you found a way to enable the “sync contacts” for Android Outlook app as configuring all the sync values to TRUE still doesn’t enable the setting

Hi @brendanmain I had issues with not being able to enable sync contacts in Outlook inside work profile.
When you try to enable sync contacts it automatically disables.
This was caused by permissions, I had to specifically auto grant read and write contacts permissions to the Outlook app.

Hey Dani

Yeah I have these permissions set, is this meant to enable/turn on the “sync contacts” option though by setting this key value though “com.microsoft.outlook.ContactSync.AddressAllowed” = TRUE ?

PS: I have opened a support ticket with Microsoft InTune team so yesterday so just waiting for their reply

I don’t think you can remotely turn this on for a user, we generally put this as part of an enrolment guide to ensure users turn it on themselves.

They key you mentioned looks to be iOS only.

AE only shows the following keys

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailAddress",
        "valueString": STRING_VALUE

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailAccountName",

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.ServerHostName",

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.AccountDomain",

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailUPN",

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.ServerAuthentication",

"key": "com.microsoft.intune.mam.AllowedAccountUPNs",
        "valueString": ""

"key": "com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.AccountType",

Confirmed with Microsoft Support that you can’t enable the “Sync Contacts” option via Outlook app config which seems pretty stupid

it will come soon. Have a look at the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/09/25/your-favorite-email-app-outlook-mobile-adds-new-enterprise-information-protection-and-mobile-management-capabilities/?_lrsc=bd001389-9378-4d05-be8f-a7f1fc49bc10

1 Like