Recently our IaaS servers were patched by the hosting service provider and they updated the Java version as well as the Windows patches by mistake.
Next day we found out that all the ACC’s were off line and not communicating, by going to Settings - System - Advanced - Site URL’s and scrolling down to the AWCM section I found the test connection failed.
Logging on to the server hosting the AWCM service showed that the AWCM service was running…
Restart the service, no change, reboot the server…no change…mmm difficult one.
Checking the Windows log files I noticed that Java was updated at the same time the Windows patches was done.
Now each version of Java uses a different file path, AirWatch have these paths hard coded, so although the AWCM service was running it was referencing a version of Java that did not exist.
Also the TomCat service uses these hard coded paths.
This is what we had to do.
- Changed the file path in Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings. Under Advanced tab, we selected Environment and user variables. We changed the file path of JAVA_HOME to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73 (ie the current version)
- Changed the file path in C:/AirWatch/AirWatch 8.1/AWCM/service/AWCMService.exe.parameters to JVM=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\server\jvm.dll (your current AW version and the new Java version path)
- Updated the Java Virtual Machine Path in Tomcat by going to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\bin folder and launch Tomcat7w.exe. Go to the Java Tab and update the Java Virtual Machine field with the updated path to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\server\jvm.dll
- Updated Tomcat7 properties Java mode from ‘jre’ to ‘java’
- Restart Tomcat service, restart AWCM service
- Checked AWCM service was running
- Checked customer ACC connections and started going live one by one.
- All ACC connections tested OK
This worked just, but make sure all Java Auto Updates are switched off…
Many thanks to the excellent help from AW third line support in Australia (Mr KA)